Jabez, a descendant of Judah, is briefly mentioned in scripture, like a blip on the screen—only two verses. In thirty words or less he lifted his prayer to God: “Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me free from harm so that I will be free from pain.” And God granted his request (1 Chronicles 4:10 NIV).
Using Jabez’s prayer and applying it towards healthy weight loss, it gives us seven powerful principles to effectively lose weight and live healthy, vibrant lives. If your life has been a see-saw or roller coaster of losing weight and gaining it back, Weight Loss the Jabez Way was written for YOU!
One of the joys of my life is teaching Weight Loss The Jabez Way at local churches. The first line of the Prayer of Jabez is “And Jabez Cried out to the God of Israel” 1 Chronicles verse 4:10. Note, he didn’t ask, request, suggest or inquire – he CRIED OUT! When have you cried out in your life? When you are desperate, frustrated beyond belief, or hopeless? What are you willing to do at this point? To try something new?
With our weight if we knew how to fix it we would.. So the fact we are struggling means we need to be open to a new way, we don’t know what to do, and it is time to change and be a learner (as opposed to a knower).
Here is a must read article that suggests that what we have taught in the past may not work for everyone, and in fact may be harmful. Please take a moment to read it at: http://io9.com/5979523/why-you-should-starve-yourself-a-little-bit-each-day ” Starve Yourself!>
What if the things you are doing to lose weight are just not right for you? What if you actually did things differently, even though you think it may not be the right thing to do? Here is a list of some interesting strategies that have been used to change eating habits with good results. Some of these are exactly the opposite, so don’t think they are to be done at one time. Just try one or two at a time, see what work best for you. Then do us a favor and come post a comment or two on what works for you or post some other ideas for people to try.
Try These Simple Eating Habit Changes
- Increase protein in your diet up to ½ gram per pound of body weight
- Eat 5 – 6 small (100 – 250 cal) “meals” a day with protein in each meal
- Eat no bread, rice, potato’s, pasta, cookies, cakes, candies, pies, soft drinks, or beer for 3 days and see how much weight you loose
- Eat only lean protein and green vegetables after 4:00pm every day for a week
- Eat only at a level 3* hunger (1 = not hungry, 2 = will eat if food/snack offered, 3 = hungry, 4 = starving – hard to slow down)
- Drink H2Orange (1 Ounce of pure orange juice to 7ounces of water)* slowly and continually from the time you wake up to noon, then eat two balanced meals for the rest of the day
- Drink 2 protein shakes (25 – 50 grams of protein each) for your meals and eat one balanced meal
- Eat 1 a healthy snack at 4 pm each day (almonds, fruit with 1 tbsp of peanut butter, veggie snacks, yogurt)
- Take the quantity you eat now and simply cut it in ½
- Replace your sweet desserts with a piece of fruit or yogurt or something else that is sugar free (jello is a good example)
- Switch your regular soda or sweet tea to non-sweet tea
- Find something active to do for 20 minutes 3X/week just for the fun of it
- Drink 8 – 10 glasses of water a day. Monitor your muscle aches and fatigue – could you have been eating because you were dehydrated?
- Start to drink one glass of water before you eat your meal*
- Eat slowly, put your fork down in between bites*
*these ideas are from www.naturallyslim.com
If you would like to download and print these 15 habit changes simply click the following link: http://gameofhealth.com/EatingHabitOptions
To calculate your body mass index (BMI), which is a measure of your weight in relation to your height, simply enter your height and weight in the calculator below. If the resulting number is below 25, there is plenty of room in your cells to store fat and sugar. Between 25 and 30 fat cells begin to become filled with energy. Quite literally there is “no more room in the inn”. As a result, levels of fat and sugar become elevated in the blood stream, which can cause delirium, coma, or even death.
The first part of the Prayer of Jabez is:
“Oh that you would bless me”
Are you crying out for a blessing or are you just complaining about what you don’t have? Jabez CRIED out! He didn’t mumble, or just assume God could read through all the thoughts going through his head. He cried out and let his request be known.
If the area in your life you want to cry out for blessings is in weight loss, then cry out! Tell God how much weight you want to lose. Get a number, get specific. If it’s something you really want, you will cry out more than one time. When something is REALLY important to you, do you just make one request? Or, do you get serious and CRY out! Ask for your blessing. You deserve it!
It may be difficult to admit, but to a great degree, when you stand naked in front of a mirror just before or after your bath or shower, what you see from the neck down is a direct reflection of your decisions from the neck up. You really can’t hate it or love it. It’s just like gravity–it is what it is because of what you have chosen to do up to this point in your life. If you keep making the same choices, you are going to keep getting the same results.
The question is, what will you choose to do from here on out?